What to do with my life?
Broadcasting/Journalism/TV/Film Production (Alpha Pacific/UofW/UofA/LoyMary)
- Will get me faster to my ultimate goal in life, work w/the Travel Channel/Discovery Networks/BBC/Nat. Geo.
- Brings me to the sunny, beautiful West :), where I want to be more than anything right now
- More $$ ultimately (ostensibly)
- Closer to my ultimate dream in life
- Closer to what my background is in
- Something I am well versed in
- I know I would be good at this
- More glamorous job in the long run
- Will get us the fuck out of
- Will have to wait until at least Fall 2009 or later to even begin school, meaning I’m stuck in
for more time anyways Michigan
- Will take Tom and I away from
and our friends/family Michigan
- Will ultimately have to put other things on hold after school to pursue career in earnest (kids, Tom’s degree,
, etc.), potentially putting me well into my thirties before I can consider these other life options Travel Channel Academy
- Tom will not necessarily have a job waiting for him where we go
- Will mean we may have to move again shortly after I graduate so Tom can begin school, possibly hampering career options
- Still a means to an end; ultimately do not want to be a broadcaster or journalist; rather would assist in moving towards ultimate goal of Travel Host
- Journalism work will be hard-won- must work long, hard hours, earn my place, work holidays, nights, weekends (LIVE TO WORK)
- Will take me away from Tom, family, friends, kids, etc. occasionally, and time at work will eat up leisure/family time
- Is this ultimately a pipe dream? Is it realistic?
- Will the degree really advance my career goals?
- Is this degree superfluous?
- Must spend more $$ and go further into debt
- Less guaranteed and less secure than other career options
- Reliant on my looks?
Secondary Education Masters (WSU, UofA)
- Love of teaching
- Very rewarding vocation, enriching kids' lives, helping the future, etc.
- Unbeatable vacation time (all holidays, all summer)
- Unbeatable weekday hours (7 or 8 a.m.-4 or 5 p.m., more or less guaranteed); no weekends EVER!!!
- WORK TO LIVE (personal philosophy)
- When we have kids, will keep same schedule and can be deeply involved in their lives
- Potential to bring us back to
Europeand further afield with international teaching opportunities (big plus)
- Can live more transient, travel and leisure-centered lifestyle
- Means to an end; does not necessarily bar me from pursuing other opportunities, either simultaneously, or upon sabbaticals
- Work is more or less guaranteed and more secure than other options (there will always be teaching opportunities)
- Money will be pretty good with Masters preparation
- WSU program is 2-in-1: Masters degree and certification, putting me into a higher pay scale automatically
- Benefits, paid vacation, health insurance, 401-K, retirement; all those good and necessary things
- Will keep us in Michigan for a bit longer so Tom can gain extra experience at his job, possibly advancing further and making good $$
Michiganteaching cert. reciprocal with many other states, making it very easy to pick up and move where necessary U.S.
- I can always return to teaching if other things don’t pan out, and I know I can enjoy it
- Can begin taking deficient classes at Wayne almost immediately
- Work does not necessarily end with school bell: lesson planning, grading, reading papers, extracurricular work, PTA, etc.
- Am I meant to become a teacher?
- Group work experience may be difficult to obtain, possibly extending the time it takes to be accepted into
- A LOT of deficient classes that must be taken Post-Bac before I can be accepted into
- More $$ and more debt
- Must stay in
for at least another 2 ½-3 years (BIG negative) Michigan
Come on, universe! Hurry up and tell me what I'm meant to do with my life!