Thursday, April 17, 2008

Help me decide what to do with the rest of my life

As of late I've wrestled extensively with what I'm meant to do with the rest of my life. Being in the unenvied position of the recent post-grad, I'm dealing with the ubiquitous quarter-life crisis. I have just had my tarot cards read, which did not necessarily shed any more light onto my quandaries (other than letting me know that the universe will begin to reveal my path over time, which I kind of always figured would happen). So it's come down to this: which path of the two that I am considering do I choose? As with all soul-searching philosophical queries I have endured, I've drafted up the ever-popular Pros and Cons list. Please feel free to read over my list, add suggestions where appropriate, and give me the advice I'm sure you, my seasoned readers, have perhaps yourselves oft experienced.

What to do with my life?

Broadcasting/Journalism/TV/Film Production (Alpha Pacific/UofW/UofA/LoyMary)

Pros

  • Will get me faster to my ultimate goal in life, work w/the Travel Channel/Discovery Networks/BBC/Nat. Geo.
  • Brings me to the sunny, beautiful West :), where I want to be more than anything right now
  • More $$ ultimately (ostensibly)
  • Closer to my ultimate dream in life
  • Closer to what my background is in
  • Something I am well versed in
  • I know I would be good at this
  • More glamorous job in the long run
  • Will get us the fuck out of Michigan

Cons

  • Will have to wait until at least Fall 2009 or later to even begin school, meaning I’m stuck in Michigan for more time anyways
  • Will take Tom and I away from Michigan and our friends/family
  • Will ultimately have to put other things on hold after school to pursue career in earnest (kids, Tom’s degree, Travel Channel Academy, etc.), potentially putting me well into my thirties before I can consider these other life options
  • Tom will not necessarily have a job waiting for him where we go
  • Will mean we may have to move again shortly after I graduate so Tom can begin school, possibly hampering career options
  • Still a means to an end; ultimately do not want to be a broadcaster or journalist; rather would assist in moving towards ultimate goal of Travel Host
  • Journalism work will be hard-won- must work long, hard hours, earn my place, work holidays, nights, weekends (LIVE TO WORK)
  • Will take me away from Tom, family, friends, kids, etc. occasionally, and time at work will eat up leisure/family time
  • Is this ultimately a pipe dream? Is it realistic?
  • Will the degree really advance my career goals?
  • Is this degree superfluous?
  • Must spend more $$ and go further into debt
  • Less guaranteed and less secure than other career options
  • Reliant on my looks?

Secondary Education Masters (WSU, UofA)

Pros

  • Love of teaching
  • Very rewarding vocation, enriching kids' lives, helping the future, etc.
  • Unbeatable vacation time (all holidays, all summer)
  • Unbeatable weekday hours (7 or 8 a.m.-4 or 5 p.m., more or less guaranteed); no weekends EVER!!!
  • WORK TO LIVE (personal philosophy)
  • When we have kids, will keep same schedule and can be deeply involved in their lives
  • Potential to bring us back to Europe and further afield with international teaching opportunities (big plus)
  • Can live more transient, travel and leisure-centered lifestyle
  • Means to an end; does not necessarily bar me from pursuing other opportunities, either simultaneously, or upon sabbaticals
  • Work is more or less guaranteed and more secure than other options (there will always be teaching opportunities)
  • Money will be pretty good with Masters preparation
  • WSU program is 2-in-1: Masters degree and certification, putting me into a higher pay scale automatically
  • Benefits, paid vacation, health insurance, 401-K, retirement; all those good and necessary things
  • Will keep us in Michigan for a bit longer so Tom can gain extra experience at his job, possibly advancing further and making good $$
  • Michigan teaching cert. reciprocal with many other U.S. states, making it very easy to pick up and move where necessary
  • I can always return to teaching if other things don’t pan out, and I know I can enjoy it
  • Can begin taking deficient classes at Wayne almost immediately

Cons

  • Work does not necessarily end with school bell: lesson planning, grading, reading papers, extracurricular work, PTA, etc.
  • Am I meant to become a teacher?
  • Group work experience may be difficult to obtain, possibly extending the time it takes to be accepted into College of Ed
  • A LOT of deficient classes that must be taken Post-Bac before I can be accepted into College of Ed
  • More $$ and more debt
  • Must stay in Michigan for at least another 2 ½-3 years (BIG negative)

Come on, universe! Hurry up and tell me what I'm meant to do with my life!

1 comment:

Chick Young said...

As mentioned to Sir Thomas, I'm game to pitch in my two cents on majorus decisionus. Over drinks or chow or both, possibly at tu casa!